Secret Suburbs: Things to do and see in Balmain
One of my favourite ways to explore a suburb is to put on my running shoes, throw on a backpack and literally jog up and down each street.
For Balmain though, I had a really tough time keeping my eyes open for “secrets” because I just kept admiring the Jacaranda trees and the smell of Jasmine.
Poignantly, I was out there on Remembrance Day (11 November) and stopped near an old pub for my minute of silence. Sitting on the veranda, the rowdy patrons suddenly got very quiet, bowed their heads and after that moment, it seemed they strained to get their spark back right away.
Though those things aren’t in my column, I think they really speak to the personality of the suburb.
Thanks, Balmain. I enjoyed my visit.
Read my piece in The Sunday Telegraph: Secret Suburbs: Balmain
Things to see and do in Balmain:
- Tora Sumi Art + Ink: The interior decor is suited to an upscale agency but the back is all ink.
- Leona Edmiston’s Vintage Boutique: Second-hand pieces sold on consignment.
- Ryokan Gojyuan – Japanese Art and Culture Workshops: A traditional Japanese guest house that provides workshops and cultural experiences.
- FLATOUTbear: Literally a flat bear which is what makes it so easy for baby to cuddle up to.
- The Lodge Bar: Dark, leather, wing-back chairs give it a cigar room vibe but the abundance of quirky clocks beckons Alice from Wonderland.
- Dawn Fraser Baths: Tidal pools named after Dawn Fraser, local legend and Olympic Swimming Champion
- The Balmain Boat Company: DIY rowboats become a labour of love.
- Balmain Brewing Company: A craft beer reminiscent of Balmain’s rugged and industrial past.
Where is Balmain?
Secret Suburb is published in the Sunday Telegraph, Australia’s biggest selling newspaper, every Sunday. Follow Sunday Telegraph Editor, Mick Carroll on Twitter here. Follow the Sunday Telegraph on Twitter here.