Secret Suburb: Things to do and see in Ultimo
Considered “city fringe” Ultimo is walking distance to the CBD, but near enough to parks and the harbour to be considered a bit more suburban. It a relatively short time, it’s gone from the dregs – quite literally the scourge of Sydney – to a desirable area, partially due to its proximity to shops, unis and public transport.
Hard to imagine that what was once swamp land and an army encampment would become a park populated by corporate footy teams and fitness bootcamps. Or that any one of the 15 crowded industrial warehouses nearby would transform into trendy loft apartments. But that’s progress and for Ultimo it’s turned the rough quarry stone that helped build Sydney University into a gem.
Read “Secret Suburb: It’s Christmas everyday in Ultimo” in The Sunday Telegraph here.
Things to do, see and appreciate in Ultimo
- Bake a bulk load at industrial Temp Kitchen Rent.
- Appreciate the work it takes to get the holiday spirit going thanks to Fred at the Commercial Christmas Warehouse.
- Take part in a game of GPS hide-and-seek with Geocaching.
- For those interested in news and information in mandarin, listen to 2CR Chinese Radio Network.
- Enjoy a four-course meal at student prices at The Apprentice restaurant, TAFE Ultimo.
- Plant some seeds at the Ultimo Community Garden.
- Buy some fresh flowers every Monday and Wednesday at TAFE Ultimo – the only florist in the neighbourhood.
- Learn the varied history of Wentworth Park, first as a swamp, then a park followed by a speedway, army camp and now racetrack.
Where is Ultimo?
Secret Suburb is published in the Sunday Telegraph, Australia’s biggest selling newspaper, every Sunday. Follow Sunday Telegraph Editor, Mick Carroll on Twitter here. Follow the Sunday Telegraph on Twitter here.